My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY, United States

Saturday, May 23, 2009

First Visit to the School, Driving, and Loan Meetings

My first visit to the school yesterday was amazing. We were greeted at the road by the entire school singing and dancing surrounding our car forcing us to get out. They then surrounded us with song and dance, throwing flowers everywhere and walked us up the driveway in a parade to the entrance of the school.

The energy, happiness and spirit of all the children was incredible, especially considering all that they've been through. Sadly we learned that over half of the children at the school are positive for HIV.

I can't begin to describe to you the genuine appreciation they all had just from us being there. There was a big celebration all day long in our honor with singing, dancing, and entertainment by the children throughout the day. I think I've already become a better dancer in my short time here already!

I had my first driving experience in Uganda on Friday and as Mr. Fred said, "If you can drive in Uganda, you can drive anywhere". I can truly say that I believe this 100% as the roads here are traitorous. It's about a 15-20 minute drive from where we are staying to the school and its dirt road the entire time. Potholes everywhere would make it hard for even a hummer to navigate and we have a small sedan. The roads are barely wide enough for one car and they are not only used as a two way driving street for cars, but also for motorcyclists, bikers, walkers, and trucks. Since it's the rainy season it's hard to judge the depth of the potholes filled with water so I’ve had to make sure to go slowly so I don't splash innocent bystanders.

Today we are meeting with one of the groups who received our loans last year to see how they did and to review the process. Things seemed to have gone well and it will be interesting to hear what they have to say.

The sun is finally out! I hope everyone back home is doing well. I’m having a great experience so far and it seems things are only going to get better.

Thank you again to everyone who has made this trip possible for me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

have fun man, enjoy the experience

May 23, 2009 at 3:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home